WE HAVE PURCHASED A NEW HOME! WE WILL BE OPERATING OUT OF OUR CURRENT LOCATION FOR AT LEAST 90 DAYS WHILE WE ARE UNDER CONSTRUCTION AT THE NEW LOCATION!!
STAY TUNED MORE INFORMATION!!
For 26 years, Sonshine Soup Kitchen has ministered to the needs of the Greater Derry community by serving free hot meals in a spiritually uplifting environment to anyone who enters our facility. The kitchen we use has been graciously provided by the First Baptist Church of Derry, while all office and storage spaces are rented in a separate building. We are now ready for a permanent home under one roof.
The Current Situation
- Guests must wait outside in all types of weather and in full view of passing traffic.
- No handicap access to dining room or bathroom.
- No space for stock and supplies in kitchen area.
- Very limited refrigerator space.
- No janitorial storage/cleanup facilities.
- Rented office space with kitchen/cooking supplies and clothing closet in separate building from dining room/kitchen along with management, conference room and storage two flights up!
- Minimal storage space for stock.
- Very cramped space for clothing closet inventory.
- All food stock, linens and donated items must be hand carried from office across parking lot to kitchen, regardless of weather.
Finding the right building has been a bigger challenge than we anticipated when the building campaign was launched in 2012. The biggest obstacle is a location with either adequate on-site parking or close to municipal parking. But the Soup Kitchen Board is not sitting idle. We have increased the frequency of our meetings and are equipping ourselves for a more focused campaign. We are in need of more help. If you have experience in building/capital campaigns or have an interest in seeing this project to completion, please contact Cynthia or any Board member.
What We Need
- A location within 0.5 miles of our current facility.
- Cash donations.
- Assistance with fundraising.
- Corporate/employee matching donations.
- Foundation grants.
- Designate your employee United Way campaign giving to the Sonshine Soup Kitchen.
- Opportunities to present our need to more community organizations.